Friday, March 16, 2012

Acceptance is your worst ememy

    Acceptance is a crutch. I remember once upon a time not so very long ago I used this very thing to make excuses not to make any hard changes in my life. It's quite disgusting now, looking back at my past behaviors and excuses that I used to stay in the same rut I was in. Stuck if you will for what seemed an eternity. Stuck in trap of self pity and doubt, I allowed myself to assign blame upon anything but myself for the condition that I had created. Let me run down a list of a few of them and let's see if you recognize any of them.

1. I'll never be skinny because my body and bone structure aren't made that way.
2. I can't prevent diabetes and high blood pressure because I have a strong genetic link.
3. I've tried all the diets and they just don't work. Maybe God meant for me to be this way.
4. I don't have time to exercise because I have children and a job.
5. I feel so bad I just can't exercise.
6. I really don't eat that much!!!
7. My job hours prevent me from eating healthy because I eat on the go a lot.

    The list could go on and on. The truth is I made excuses in every aspect of my life as to why I couldn't make changes. It was going to be hard and I knew that. I think that sometimes when we are faced with situations that we know are going to be difficult, we as a whole tend to turn to avoidence. Who really wants to feel bad or be miserable? No one, that's who. Nothing worth having is ever going to be easy or convenient. If it was there would be no fulfillment within. No joy. No sense of accomplishment. No drive to progress and better one's self.

    One day I just decided I was sick and tired of loathing myself. I was tired of shoving my mouth full of things that essentially represented sorrow, regrets, and disappointment. I was ready to get up and take a long hard look at myself in the mirror. Ready to be brutally honest about the chains that held me where I was standing. Ready to brake free of my self inflicted silent prison. Ready to disassemble my inner ticking time bomb. It was an awakening if you will, and it was the moment that I took the first step from the quicksand I was sinking in. That very moment fuels my drive today. Here I stand before you not just 46 pounds lighter than I was 10 weeks ago, but also with a new found joy. A joy that came from not being content with a lesser version of myself. A joy from the knowledge that because of my choices right now I am prolonging my time with my family and children. The knowledge that the time I will spend with them from this day forward will be utilized to the fullest of possibilities. I will no longer be a bystander but rather a participant. A participant because I can be and because I choose to be rather than accepting self inflicted limitations. I WILL NOT BE DEFEATED! Will you? The choice is yours my friend. What will you be, a bystander or a participant? I sincerely hope that you join me in this race of life. See you there.

No comments:

Post a Comment